We decided in the spring that we would use our family savings to go. At this time, we learned that there was a fundraising program to help send other children to camp who may not be able to go due to financial reasons.
Trinity (who has T1D), decided she would like to fund raise and help out other kids. What a joy this brought to my heart! Through the initiative "Put a Squeeze on Diabetes," Trinity set up a virtual lemonade stand and also had two pop up lemonade stands in our area over the course of the summer. We couldn't believe the support from family and friends who donated money to support Trinity's efforts.
By the end of the fundraiser, Trinity managed to raise $1402 for diabetes camp. I am so proud to say that she ranked fifth in Canada as top fundraiser! It was the first time I saw my little girl take ownership of her diabetes and want to do something good with it.
I want to specifically say thank you to many of you who generously gave to this cause. I think most of you donated to support Trinity's efforts in doing something good, as did I. But I want you to know something really important.
Since attending camp, I would have to say, this ended up being much more than just raising money to "send kids to camp." I can't express enough how this camp impacted Trinity and myself. Trinity, for the first time, got to actually go to camp and not have the worries of her diabetes or feel "different" than all the other kids when she needed to stop and check her blood sugars or take a break because she was 'low' or was found calculating carbohydrates a meal times and injecting insulin. She could be herself and have fun like everyone else knowing that everyone else understood. For the first time, I was surrounded by parents who totally understood life around diabetes, the worries, the challenges, the failures, the frustrations. Together we could share stories and encourage each other. The support from staff was phenomenal too. I can't get over the care that was given.
We are both counting down the days until the next camp. We can't wait to get back again.
So, if you ever wanted to give to Diabetes Camp again in the future, please know that this is REALLY making a difference to many kids and families across Canada. You have no idea.
Thank you. This mama is truly thankful. The photo below fills me with joy and makes me cry at the same time.
| Trinity loving paddle boarding! |
No comments:
Post a Comment