We try to keep things simple in life. Especially at Christmas. Jason and I really want Christmas to be about Christ. To celebrate Him. To give thanks for His birth and what He has done for the world - what He has done for us personally. Not only is this important to us, but it became even more important once we had children. As parents we are trying to do our best to teach our daughters what Christmas is really about. The world, especially our society, teaches many different things about Christmas - good and bad - so it is even more important for us to guide our girls. The way I see it, Jason and I have the biggest influence in our children's lives at the moment. We may as well take advantage of that and teach them what we think is best and right.
The weeks before Christmas we try and make memorable. We read lots of stories about Christmas, read our Christmas devotional each night, make Christmas crafts, sing Christmas songs, make cookies, decorate the house and tree, make gingerbread houses, play in the snow, go sledding, make snowmen, go to Christmas parties, celebrate at church, and enjoy time with friends and family. These are the memories of Christmas that I have as a child, not necessarily the gifts I got. Most importantly, we give to people in need. We try to get Trinity involved as much as possible and explain to her that Jesus has blessed us with so much that we can bless others. Instead of asking for gifts, Jesus asks us to give to others and in doing so we are giving to Him.
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was sick and you visited me." Matthew 25:35
The girls each get one special gift on Christmas morning from us. The rest of the day is focused on doing things together as a family and celebrating Christ. We make a cake... it IS his birthday anyhow :) We read the story of the first Christmas in the Bible and take time to pray. We enjoy spending time as a family and sharing a meal together.
This is what Jason and I do and will try to do each year. Of course society will creep in, family members and friends will give multiple gifts to our girls and ask about Santa. I can't stop that from happening. I can ask or make suggestions, but I can't change other people. Thankfully that is not my responsibility. We will take each thing in stride and deal with each question from our kids accordingly.
I will cherish the time I have with my daughters and guide and mold and model what I can. Then I leave them in God's hands, hoping that they will not lose what we have instilled. They may grow and become wrapped up in gifts, getting, and giving in ways that are not as meaningful as they could be. They even may reject God. I can't change them either. That takes God to change their hearts to follow Him.
My hope? That I can show my girls that joy is not situational. It is not found in things, places, or people. It is found in Christ. It is not what he gives, but what he DID. Joy is ever present and everlasting. It is Him.
My prayer? That my children would keep their eyes fixed on our Savior. Not just at Christmas, but each day of the year. That He would be their ultimate. That all the things of this world would fall to the side. That they would find this life worth nothing without Christ.
"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24
What did Christ give at Christmas? He gave Himself. Let us not forget. Let us receive THAT gift. Let us give of ourselves, our time, our love, our friendship to Him and to others this Christmas.
Worded perfectly Chels. Perfect...and I agree. I'm so proud of you for how you deal with Christmas, especially with your girls. What a blessings...the special memories and family times - not the multiple gifts we never remember. Blessings to you guys - we wish we were closer. We look up to you guys heaps :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post Chelsey. Family traditions are so important. We used to have a birthday party for Jesus too... birthday cake was the kids' Christmas Day dessert. I also used to have a nativity set under the tree that the kids could play with it. It was so fun to hear and watch them interact with the characters. Have fun building your families' unique traditions...and as we are discovering, they change during different phases of a family's life...always a fun work in progress!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!